72-hour visa-free transit in Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Shenyang and Xi'an.
If you meet the following criteria, you can stay up to 72 hours in any of the above cities without a Chinese visa. You can visit the city at your leisure and book a hotel, etc.
The conditions are the following:
- Your transit time is no more than 72 hours as determined by scheduled arrival and departure times (see below for the exception in Guangzhou).
- You have confirmed plane tickets to a third country (for immigration purposes, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are not considered part of China. They have their own exit and entry protocols, including visa requirements. Flights between mainland China and any of these places are considered International and they are deemed to be different countries);
- You enter the country through one of the following: the Beijing Capital Airport, Chengdu Shuangliu Airport, Chongqing Jiangbei Airport, Dalian Zhoushuizi Airport, Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, Shanghai Pudong Airport or Shanghai Hongqiao Airport, Shenyang Taoxian Airport, Xi'an Xianyang Airport;
- You will leave the country by departing from the airport in the same city that you arrived in (for Shanghai you can arrive at one airport and leave from the other);
- Your inbound and outbound flights must not additionally transit through any other Chinese airports on their way to/from one of the above airports (see below examples of what is not acceptable);
- You cannot leave the city/municipality to go to another Chinese city during the 72 hours (except in Guangzhou where you are permitted to travel anywhere in the Guangdong province);
- You must hold a passport of one of the 51 approved countries:
1) Twenty four European Schengen countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland;
2) Thirteen other European countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), and Albania;
3) Six American countries: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Chile;
4) Two Oceania countries: Australia, and New Zealand;
5) Six Asian countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
The authorities have stated that those who enter other cities will face punishment, those who break the law during their stay will face a lifetime ban and that all visitors must carry identity papers with them at all times.
How to Apply
1. Locate the visa office of the Embassy / Consulate General which holds consular jurisdiction over the state in which you reside.
2. Walk-in or entrust somebody else or travel agents to submit the application documents.
3. If you reside in Washington DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolin, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia,Wyoming, please come or entrust somebody else or travel agents to the visa office of the Chinese embassy to apply. Once in the office, take the following steps:
1) Take a number first and wait for your number to be called.
2) When your number is called, you can approach any available window, either window #3, window #4 or window #5 to submit your application or make inquires.
3) On the date as stated on the Pick -Up Slip, Come to the Visa Office. Line up in front of window #2, and pay the fees (no need to take a number).
4) Pick up at window #1. Check your visa, passport and document before you leave.
5) Processing Time
Regular service: Visas can be obtained on the fourth business day.
Express service: No express service provided unless emergency. Express service needs approval of consular officials, and extra fees may apply.
6) Please be aware that:
-No need for an appointment.
-No mailing services.
-An interview may be requested.
Previous Page: Application Documents Next Page: Visa/Entry Permit for HK/Macao SAR